Looking back I think I was going through some rough times. No aspiration at work, environment felt very hateful, emotionally dried and tired. Does it sound familiar to you? My world was falling apart and only bright light was craft workshop I was going to on Saturday.
Ideas I could use in my youth work. Workshop ´mindful crafts for children´ happened to be therapeutic session for myself.
First crafty idea was masquerade mask. I remember that day I came home relaxed and fulfilled. I did finally something meaningful for myself.
When use this craft making?
You can use this therapeutic craft whenever you want and feel. It is great way how to relax and cope once you feel anxious. It can help you to stop overthinking and just be present in the moment. It is great when you feel no motivation, sadness because again it takes your focus to something creative and away from your thought process.
It makes you present.
You can use it as tool to better understand yourself because the way you create your mask will let you uncover a little bit more about yourself. This step is not necessary though because process of making the mask is much more important.
What you will need:
- Masquerade mask tamplate (you can find the shape for free here)
- Any kind of Glue (good to use PVG glue, Pritt, Dovecraft craft glue, united office glue)
- Paints, crayons, coloured pens etc. (whatever you find)
- Any kinds of papers – coloured, textured, designed, shiny, plane (whatever catch your eye)
- Anything else what you can stick on paper (glitters, bottoms etc.)
- Flexible string (if you want to tight it around the head – it is not necessary)
There is not right or wrong way how to make your mask, neither design you should use. As more you let your imagination flow as better results you will get.
- First thing is to cut the shape – try to use harder paper according to your colour preference
- Decorate the mask the way you want
- Tight the string to the mask and around your head – this step is not necessary, your mask can represent metaphoric mask, just to help you better understand yourself.
Once you´re making your mask try to relax, don´t think too much make your time or creative craft session with your friends. In reality meaning what you will uncover is not as much important as the time spent creating something.
You let your creativity flow and making the mask is its own relaxing and therapeutic session itself.
In our busy times we need to find time for ourselves to avoid burning out and manage coping in busy world. Workshop mask making happened to be therapeutic therapeutic session itself.
In next article I will uncover some symbols and signs you can look for once your mask is finished to help you understand its meaning.
Feel free to send me pictures of your masks or any questions in comments.
Did you like the article? Was it helpful? Don´t miss other techniques and info from world of highly sensitive introverted extroverts and follow on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Do you know someone who might find masquerade mask helpful? Share this article with them.
Pingback: What Masquerade mask revels about you (2. part) – Eva's Artherapy